Little over a year ago I was embarking on my own anxious wait for University and honestly nothing could prepare me to be a fresher. I remember trolling countless blogs, uni room tours and uni related video blogs on Youtube, honestly I could not get enough! As many of you know I study English Literature in York, I’m heading into my second year and so I decided to pass on some advice to upcoming freshers which I learnt from my own mistakes! Though be aware that this is just advice from my own personal experience at University.
- Use your parents! Yes most blogs say get rid of them and say our goodbyes but honestly this is something I wish I hadn’t of done. I was the first one in my flat and honestly wish that I had just stopped trying to act all hip and cool and went off to explore the city with them and get that all important first food shop in. I think if I had I would have been more comfortable in my new home and it would have saved me carrying my first food shop the next day 2 miles in the burning sun.
- Just take the bare essentials. Honestly a plate and a mug is enough for kitchen supplies because these are all things you can easily get wherever you are moving too. Don’t be like me and over packed and over prepared, honestly wish I’d just bought down my room stuff for decorating and of course my books. Would have meant less packing and unpacking!
- Explore! I cannot stress this enough, go out with your new flatmates and explore your new home. Go out by yourself and explore as well! This is something I didn’t do and sorely regret. My first few months at uni all I did was go to uni and work and occasionally go food shopping. Nothing else and I deeply regret it because it wasn’t till February that I finally began to explore the city!
- Get involved! In case you haven’t guessed by my previous post I didn’t go out and I really regret that. I wish I’d gone out to a club or something or even more fresher events but instead I cowered. I had create my comfort zone and I was so scared to leave it that it hindered part of my uni experience.
- This is important, especially if you study a subject which requires a lot of reading. Just do the reading! It will make your life so much more easier if you can be at least a week ahead. This is something which I’m attempting to achieve myself and haven’t quite mastered but I’m sure the sooner you do then the easier it will be!
- Now here is a really serious one. Do not talk about money! I know so many people who fought and got bitter and nasty because someone got more on their student loan and how others were forced to work just to make rent. It’s not worth it so follow the very British stereotype and try keep money off limits as much as possible!
- Finally, enjoy! Embrace the experience and live it to the full!
Like I said these aren’t rules to stick to but more a guidence and advice from what I learnt myself and properly next year their will be more advice and I will have learnt something myself. I’ve moved back home so I’m commuting to Uni for second year but I am determined not to let that stop me from still having a fully rounded Uni experience. I’m even going to follow this advice for myself because I don’t want to waste my time worrying when I could be having fun and so many new experiences.
What do you think of this? What would your advice for freshers? Or even what would you say to yourself as a fresher?